The warm weather is fading away, as vacations end and the kids go back to school. Now that most of your summer driving is over, it is time to get your family vehicle ready for the coming fall and winter months. Preventive maintenance is one of the best methods recommended by auto insurance companies to prevent common accidents and mishaps from occurring. Take advantage of this advice from your Fall River auto insurance company and prepare for the wet, windy, snowy and icy weather that is on its way for Southeastern Massachusetts car owners.
Check Your Owner’s Manual
If you are not familiar with the recommended scheduled maintenance services that are suggested by your car’s manufacturer, now is a great time to take a look. Because every driver and situation is different, you may need to increase the time frame for regular maintenance or you can use the standard recommended schedule. Speak with your Fall River car insurance specialist about other preventive maintenance programs and work that you can use to get your car ready for the fall and winter seasons. Sullivan auto insurance in Fall River has lots of great ideas that you can use to protect your car from common seasonal pitfalls.
Some of the standard preventive maintenance work that you will need to do can include:
- regular oil changes
- tire pressure and tire treads
- fluids and belts
- replace filters
In addition to these basic and standard checks, replacements and scheduled maintenance, it pays to learn a little bit about the different systems within your vehicle so you can stay on top of them as well. You don’t need to be an auto mechanic, but your Fall River car insurance wants you to know that it pays to know about the importance of these systems and how they can be negatively impacted by cold temperatures and common Southeastern Massachusetts weather patterns in the fall and winter months.
Common Cold Weather Issues
Many of these common cold weather issues can be prevented through a little bit of know-how. Auto insurance companies that do not have experience with New England weather and winters can’t possibly help you learn all you need to know about preventive maintenance for this time of year, but your Fall River auto insurance specialists at Sullivan Insurance Agency can help you get on the right track. Maintenance, repairs and auto insurance in Fall River doesn’t have to be complicated, as long as you have a basic understanding of what is needed to protect your investment.
- Drive-ability Problems – Any issues with your engine, such as stalling, low power, rough idling or hard starts, will just get worse when the weather gets cold. Make repairs or replace parts in advance of cold weather to prevent getting stranded in the snow – or worse!
- Fuel Protection – Another thing that you should do in the northeastern states is consider adding a bottle of fuel de-icer. During the winter months, many mechanics recommend doing this once a month to prevent any moisture from freezing inside of the fuel line. The best advice from your Fall River auto insurance company is to keep your gas tank filled during cold weather to prevent any moisture from being able to form in the first place.
- Cooling System – You might not think that your cooling system is important in the fall and winter months, but auto insurance companies could tell you otherwise. The level of your coolant should be checked, as well as the condition and concentration of the fluid, on a regular basis. The common consensus is to use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water to keep everything working as it should. Check with a mechanic to make sure what mixture and methods are best for your vehicle.
- Heating & Defrosting – Get your heater and defrosting system checked before the cold weather hits to make sure it is working properly to ensure visibility and passenger comfort during the fall and winter months.
- Wipers – Your windshield wipers are extremely important in the fall, winter and spring, when rain storms, snow and ice and most common. Consider upgrading to winter blades to help fight against build-up from ice and get a good quality washer fluid to help de-ice your windows. Always carry an ice scraper with you on short and long trips during this time of year. Speak with your Fall River car insurance agent for even more visibility and de-icing tips.
- Car Battery – Take your battery in to a local auto parts or repair center to get it tested before the bad weather hits. Make sure your battery is clean and free of corrosion from the posts and cable connections. All surfaces should be cleaned and all connections should be checked to ensure that they are tightened. If you aren’t comfortable working with the battery, consider getting it checked and serviced by a professional.
- Safety Lights – Check all of the lights on your vehicle, both inside and out. Replace any bulbs that are burned out and clean all of the lenses to make sure they shine bright. Check turn signals, emergency lights, brake lights and headlights to improve visibility and safety at all times.
Stay Safe: Fall River Auto Insurance
Keep your car and passengers safe with insurance and safety tips from your friends at Sullivan Auto Insurance in Fall River. We are an independent insurance agency, so we work with all of the top auto insurance companies to provide our clients with the best options and rates in the business. Call today at 508-679-9111 to speak with one of our Fall River car insurance agents or to get a FREE QUOTE on any of our home, auto and personal policies.