In addition to winter weather and storms, there are plenty of pitfalls that can occur to Fall River homeowners during the holiday season. Your local Fall River insurance agency wants to make sure that you have the information and tips necessary to protect your home from Thanksgiving to the New Year – and beyond. Personal insurance in Fall River should be designed to protect your investments, whether that means your home, rental property, or vehicle. Home insurance in Fall River is something that is required by the mortgage company or bank that holds the title on your house. However, Fall River homeowners should take the time to go over their policy and make sure that their interests are being protected as well.
‘Tis the Season (to Burglar Homes)
Even if you aren’t planning to go somewhere tropical during the holiday season, there are plenty of opportunities for thieves to break into your home. Many burglars anticipate holiday shopping and look for patterns in behavior, such as work schedules, school transportation times, or anything else that might give them time to break in when you aren’t at home. Most thieves do not want a confrontation with homeowners, so it pays to up your game when it comes to home security. Keeping good habits of locking doors and windows – even when you’re home – can pay off and protect you from theft.
Other ways Fall River homeowners can protect their homes include:
- add reinforcements to doors and secondary locks to prevent break-ins
- keep blinds and curtains closed to prevent burglars from peeking into your home
- use smart home technology to make your home appear occupied even when you aren’t home; turning on and off lights, televisions and sound systems on a varying schedule
- pick up any newspapers, phone books, flyers, and mail as soon as they arrive
- use your garage to unload or load gifts, packages, and shopping bags throughout the season to prevent calling attention to your activities
- invest in a home security system; contact your Fall River insurance agency to find out which systems might even provide you with a discount on your policy premium
- stay off social media – don’t post pictures of expensive gifts and electronics online
- use props that can sometimes scare away burglars, including a large pair of men’s boots covered in scuff marks and dirt by the door, a large dog bowl and chewed up toys on the porch, and a big dog chain anchored in the backyard
‘Tis the Season (to Burn the House Down)
Sadly, statistics reveal that the holiday season is the peak period for house fires. It’s not just the holidays that cause fires to happen, but the winter weather, as well. Before using your heater in the fall, contact a reputable HVAC company to perform an inspection to ensure that your furnace is in good working order. Replace all filters and have your vents thoroughly cleaned. The same holds true for your fireplace. Wood-burning or gas, make sure all flues, chimneys, and vent systems are properly cleaned and safe before using for the season.
Other potential fire issues include holiday lights and decorations, dry Christmas trees, seasonal baking and cooking, as well as certain cultural celebrations. The home being closed up due to cold weather outdoors means that ventilation is not as good as it might be during other times of the year. Make it a habit to check your smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers, first aid kits, and other safety gear twice each year in the spring and again in the fall. The more you can prepare for potential events, the easier it will be to take care of emergencies when they occur. Consider hiring a professional home inspector annually to check your home’s electrical system for potential issues.
Contact Sullivan Insurance Agency in Fall River
Fall River homeowners need to understand the importance of staying on top of their insurance policy to ensure that they are adequately protected. While there are industry regulations and requirements, especially concerning mortgage holders and other lenders, homeowners need to understand their policies and make sure that they have enough insurance to protect their interests and investments. Personal insurance in Fall River should be used to cover things like theft, fire, and liability. Schedule an appointment with your local Fall River insurance agency to update your information and make sure you are adequately protected against potential loss. Contact Paul Sullivan Insurance Agency by calling 508-678-9611 and speak with one of our agents about home insurance in Fall River and the surrounding area.