Home insurance in Massachusetts provides coverage for many different types of accidents and damage caused by fire, storms, and flooding. However, there is no protection from negligence. The more you can do to prepare your home for winter, the less likely you will be to suffer damage. Clearing out gutters, sealing up cracks in doors and windows, and even getting your heater serviced can help to make your home a warm, efficient, and safe place to wait out the winter season. Your local insurance company in Fall River can provide you with even more tips that you can use to your advantage. They can also give you a FREE home insurance quote if you think you might need to adjust your coverage in some way. Make sure to schedule an appointment with your agent to discuss your Fall River homeowners insurance policy at least once or twice each year.
The Number One Problem in Winter
Do you know what the number one problem that homeowners and home insurance in Massachusetts have to deal with during the winter months? You might think it has something to do with fires and fireplaces or bad wiring for holiday lighting, but the truth is that the most significant damage comes from frozen pipes. Whether you are home for the season or travel during the worst part of the snow and ice, you need to prepare your home to prevent pipes from freezing. When water freezes, it expands; which results in pressure on pipes, fixtures, and anything else that contains it. Metal and plastic materials are both at-risk for breaking if the water inside of them freezes.
The most common places where frozen pipes occur is in pipes that are exposed to the cold. Swimming pool supply lines, water sprinkler lines, outdoor spickets, and utility access points. The water supply lines that are located in unheated areas indoors are also at-risk, including garages, sheds, basements, crawl spaces, attics, and inside kitchen cabinets. While most modern construction addresses these issues due to increased awareness about thermal protection and energy efficiency, even homes that are just 15 years or older might not be properly insulated. Any pipes that run against your exterior walls could run the risk of freezing, so it’s a good idea to take a look or have them checked.
What You Can Do
Contact your insurance company in Fall River to find out about your current coverage. The more you know about your Fall River homeowners insurance, the easier it will be to know what to do in the event of an emergency. If you are in need of home insurance in Massachusetts or are thinking about changing providers, you can contact Paul Sullivan Insurance in Fall River for a free home insurance quote.
To protect your pipes from freezing, you should do the following:
- drain water from all outdoor sprinkler systems and have the excess water blown out by a professional landscape company to prevent even small amounts of water from remaining inside
- drain your swimming pool and supply lines according to the manufacturer’s recommendations or hire a professional who will guarantee their services to do it for you; never put antifreeze in lines used for sprinklers or pool systems, as it is extremely dangerous to humans, pets, landscaping, and local wildlife
- remove all hoses, drain them completely and store them inside of the garage or a shed; close off all valves that supply water to outdoor hose connections and allow the water to drain out completely; leave the valve open on the outside so any remaining water can come out or expand without causing damage
- inspect insulation in your garage, kitchen cabinets and pantries, basement, crawl space, attic, and any other at-risk area where water supply lines and pipes are located; even areas under kitchen and bathroom sinks should have insulated pipes to prevent damage from occurring
- consult with a professional to see if replacing existing insulation or adding more insulation to your home might make it more efficient and reduce chances of pipes freezing during the winter; check on any government incentives or tax breaks that might be available to homeowners and advise your insurance company in Fall River if you make any significant upgrades to protect your home
Get a Free Home Insurance Quote
Paul Sullivan Insurance Company in Fall River has provided quality coverage options for locals in the Southcoast region for many years. We have earned a solid reputation for providing comprehensive Fall River homeowners insurance, auto insurance, and personal liability insurance policies. If you would like to get a free home insurance quote or go over your policy for home insurance in Massachusetts, give us a call at 508-678-9611 and speak with one of our friendly and knowledgeable agents.